Citizen Corps Councils
The mission of Citizen Corps is to harness the power of every individual through education, training, and volunteer service to make communities safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond o the threats of terrorism, crime, public health issues, and disasters of all kinds.
The Citizen Corps mission is accomplished through a national network of state, local, and tribal Citizen Corps Councils. These Councils build on community strengths to implement the Citizen Corps programs and will carry out a local strategy to have every Florida citizen participate.
Everyone can do something to help make our families and our communities safer through:
Personal responsibility: Developing a household preparedness plan and disaster supplies kits, observing home health and safety practices, implementing disaster mitigation measures, and participating in crime prevention and reporting.
Training: Taking classes in emergency preparedness, response capabilities, first aid, CPR, fire suppression, and search and rescue procedures.
Volunteer service: Engaging individuals in volunteer activities that support first responders, disaster relief groups, and community safety organizations. Everyone can do something to support local law enforcement, fire, emergency medical services, community public health efforts, and the four stages of emergency management: prevention, mitigation, response and recovery efforts.
Local Citizen Corps Councils will:
- promote and strengthen the Citizen Corps programs at the community level, such as Volunteers in Police Service programs, CERT teams, Medical Reserve Corps units, and Neighborhood Watch groups;
- provide opportunities for special skills and interests;
- develop targeted outreach for the community, including special needs groups;
- provide opportunities of training in first aid and emergency preparedness;
- organize special projects and community events;
- encourage cooperation and collaboration among community leaders; and
- capture smart practices and report accomplishments; and
- create opportunities for all residents to participate.
Starting a Citizen Corps Council in your area will help create the groundwork for the long-term security of our neighborhoods, our communities, and our state.
May 9, 2016 14:11