To assist in emergency response and planning, the GIS Lab, working with local, state, and federal agencies maintains shelters, emergency operations centers, critical facilities, and hazardous material facilities datasets.
"Critical facilities" are defined as those structures from which essential services and functions for victim survival, continuation of public safety actions, and disaster recovery are performed or provided. Shelters, emergency operation centers, public health, public drinking water, sewer and wastewater facilities are examples of critical facilities. Though not explicitly included in the definition, supporting life-line infrastructure essential to the mission of critical facilities must also be included in the inventory when appropriate.
"Critical infrastructure" is defined as those systems and assets, whether physical or virtual, so vital that the incapacity or destruction of such systems and assets would have a debilitating impact on security, economy, public health or safety, or any combination of these elements.
The domain of the GIS Lab is specifically related to "critical facilities", while working closely with Florida's Regional Domestic Security Task Forces to ensure a safe and secure Florida.
Several critical facilities data layers are maintained by other agencies, and the GIS Lab works closely with these agencies to make sure updated data is readily available. Examples include:
- Drinking Water Facilities - Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- Environmental Health Facilities - Florida Department of Health
- Health Care Facilities - Agency for Health Care Administration
- Petroleum Storage Tanks - Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- Schools - Florida Department of Education
- Solid Waste Facilities - Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- State Facilities Inventory - Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Other data layers, like Hazardous Materials Facilities, Mobile Home Parks, and Hotel/Motels, while not specifically critical facilities, are facilities of interest for emergency managers, and the GIS Lab is also actively involved in facilitating access to these data layers.
Critical Facilities Inventory
FDEM GIS maintains a working critical facilities inventory in an enterprise geodatabase.
This inventory is maintained with annual data calls from Florida counties and periodic ingestations of data from other state and federal agencies.
- GATOR - explore critical facilities in the FDEM/SERT common operation picture/situational awareness view
- FloridaDisaster.org Geoportal - explore web maps and services with critical facilities
- FloridaDisaster.org Geodata - explore and download critical facilities