French     Spanish     German  
 
START YOUR FAMILY OR BUSINESS PLAN NOW!
Florida Disaster.org Florida Division of Emergency Management
State Emergency Response Team



About Us

Documents

Disaster Prevention

"511" Statewide Service

By calling one number, 511, motorists everywhere in the state can find out about construction updates, lane closures, traffic incidents, severe weather reports and Amber Alerts for child abductions.  For more information about this new statewide service, please click on:

http://www.fl511.com/

Links

Hurricane Recovery

Long-Term Hurricane Recovery:
Creating a Vision for the Future

 

 

 


Current Situation and Weather Update

Scattered Showers Expected Across The State...Highest Coverage in the afternoon/early evening hours...Some Storms May Be Strong To Severe With Frequent Lightning, Gusty Winds, And Heavy Downpours...Moderate to High Risk for Rip Currents at Panhandle and Atlantic Coast Beaches...Heat Indices Between 100 And 105 Across North And South Florida...99L Will Continue To Be Monitored...

Updated 9:45 AM EDT Sunday

High pressure over the state will allow for a typical summer-time weather pattern to continue across the state. Today’s weather will be similar to yesterday’s, with scattered showers and thunderstorms developing near the coast in the afternoon hours and working their way inland. Easterly winds will create more numerous showers and storms along the spine of the state and westward during the late afternoon hours. Otherwise, most shower activity should begin to dissipate after sunset.

Rain chances are forecast at 30% to 50% across North Florida, with the highest chances located across the Big Bend and Suwannee River Valley. Along the Peninsula, rain chances increase from east to west with the east coast at 20% to 30% and the west coast at a 40% and 60% chance for rain. While no severe weather is anticipated frequent lightning, gusty winds, and heavy downpours are a possibility in some of the strongest storms today. In addition, some storms may have the tendency to move slowly across portions of the Panhandle and West-Central Florida this afternoon and into the early evening hours. This could create isolated flooding concerns in low-lying or poor drainage areas.

Temperatures will be warm and humid this afternoon, rising into the low to mid 90s. In addition, heat indices will creep above the 100 degree mark for most of the state during the early afternoon hours. If you are planning on being outside for an extended amount of time it is recommended that you hydrate properly and take frequent breaks inside to limit your chances of overheating or experiencing heat exhaustion during the hottest part of the day.

Lingering ocean swells and onshore winds will create a high risk of rip currents across Southeast Florida Beaches decreasing to a moderate risk of rip currents at all remaining Atlantic Coast beaches today. A moderate risk of rip currents is also expected along the Panhandle coast between Escambia and Franklin counties, with a general low risk of rip currents for the remainder of the Gulf Coast. However, rip currents may still form near piers and jetties and also during outgoing tidal cycles on low risk days. Thus residents are encouraged to always check beach flags before entering the water. For more information about rip current safety, click here.

An area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms located in the Northwestern Caribbean, designated as invest 99L, will travel northwestward throughout today and tonight over the Yucatan Peninsula. Land interaction will limit 99L’s chances for development over the next 48 hours. However, once the system re-emerges into the southwestern Gulf of Mexico favorable atmospheric conditions and warm waters may aid in further development. Thus the system has a 50% (medium) for development in the next 5 days. Preliminary models take 99L west to northwestward into Mexico next week, as the invest is forecast to move around the western periphery of a high pressure system located in the Atlantic and Gulf. The next name on the Atlantic hurricane season list of names is Dolly. For the latest information, click here.

Weather Images Courtesy of Weather Services International
test test test
test test test
test    


National Weather Service

Labor Day Beachgoers Encouraged To Monitor Surf Conditions At Florida Beaches

~ Be Aware of Conditions Represented by Beach Warning Flags~

ripcurrentsFlorida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) officials remind beachgoers to check the surf conditions at public beaches.  Understanding the beach warning flags will help to keep you and your family safe as you enjoy the waters.  When red flags are flying, swimming in Florida’s coastal waters can be dangerous.

“Rip currents can be difficult to detect – especially around piers and jetties,” said FDEM Director Bryan W. Koon. “Pay attention to the beach warning flags for current surf conditions, and be sure you know what to do if you experience a rip current.”

Labor Day Beachgoers Encouraged To Monitor Surf Conditions At Florida Beaches

For the Latest Information on Road Closures, Please Visit the Following


Florida 511
Florida 511

Florida Highway Patrol
Florida 511


NOAA Weather Radio

NOAA Radio NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards (NWR) is a nationwide network of radio stations broadcasting continuous weather information directly from the nearest National Weather Service office . NWR broadcasts official Weather Service warnings, watches, forecasts and other hazard information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

 

 

Archives ..

Updated:
August 29, 2014 17:06

 

MyFlorida.comEMAP Accredited

Copyright ©2002 FDEM | Privacy | Best Viewed With | Accessibility | Contact Us | Employment | Home

www.FloridaDisaster.org
Florida Division of Emergency Management
2555 Shumard Oak Boulevard
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2100
(850) 413-9969
800-226-4329 (TDD/ TTY)
French     Spanish     German