Governor DeSantis Provides Update on State Response Efforts for Surfside Building Collapse
Today, Governor Ron DeSantis joined Florida Division of Emergency Management Director (FDEM) Kevin Guthrie and Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava at the Surfside Building Collapse to provide an update on state response efforts.
State response efforts include:
- FDEM issued Emergency Order 21-004, which waives certain requirements that pertain to the Florida Housing Finance Corporation’s affordable housing programs, to make additional housing units available for individuals impacted by the collapse.
- FDEM is deploying additional Individual Assistance and Public Assistance subject matter experts to assist with coordinating available resources.
- The State Mental Health Coordinator is on-site and working with the Florida Crisis Response Team and local organizations to centralize available mental health resources.
- Urban Search and Rescue Task Forces 4 (Central Florida) and 6 (Southwest Florida) have arrived to the site to assist with search and rescue efforts. Six additional Florida Urban Search and Rescue Task Force are on hand to assist in response and recovery efforts.
- The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is coordinating the deployment of forensic engineers to assist with structural assessments.
- FDOT has deployed additional barrels, cones, portable boards and stop signs at the request of Miami-Dade County.
- The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO) is deploying personnel to assist individuals with completing housing assistance applications and coordinate available business resources.
- DEO coordinated with Uber and Uber Eats to provide ride and free meals to first responders and families impacted by the collapse.
- The Florida Department of Children and Families Crisis Counseling Network is on standby to provide additional mental health resources.
- The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is deploying a mobile unit to provide no-fee driver license and identification card replacements to impacted individuals.
Previous state response efforts for the Surfside Building Collapse are available here.
Individuals with information about loved ones who are unaccounted for, or are safe, are encouraged to call the reunification hotline at 305-614-1819.
Impacted individuals are also encouraged to contact the following helpline services for immediate emotional support:
- Disaster Distress Helpline – 800-985-5990
- Florida 211 Network – 211
- Crisis Text Line – Text HELLO to 741741
State personnel remain on scene and will continue to provide assistance, as requested.