Current Weather Outlook

Statewide weather outlook from Florida Division of Emergency Management Meteorology

 

Sunday, September 23, 2018

...Summerlike Pattern Holds On...Scattered Afternoon Thunderstorms Expected Statewide...Moderate Risk of Rip Currents for Most Panhandle and Atlantic Beaches...TD #11, Tropical Storm Kirk, and Three Areas of Interest In the Tropics Pose No Threat To Florida...

Updated 9:00 A.M. EDT

A typical summertime weather pattern is expected to continue across the state for the next few days. A few showers are ongoing near the coast in the Panhandle and East Coast. This activity is expected to become more widespread as it tracks inland throughout the afternoon. The best chance of rain will be in the Panhandle and along the West Coast late in the day. Most thunderstorm activity will track east to west across the Peninsula and south to north in the Panhandle.

While widespread severe weather is not expected, a few thunderstorms could become strong to briefly severe this afternoon. Gusty winds, frequent cloud-to-ground lightning, and locally heavy downpours are possible.

Summerlike temperatures continue with highs near 90 for most of the state. When combining the heat with the humidity, heat index values will rise to 96 to 102 this afternoon, with the higher values along the west coast.

Thunderstorms will dissipate after sunset. Only isolated showers are possible along the coasts near sunrise. Otherwise, lows will be in the middle to upper 70s, except the lower 80s in the Keys.

Tropical Depression Eleven remains disorganized and is expected to dissipate by tonight. Still, increased rain chances can be expected across the Lesser Antilles tomorrow.

Tropical Storm Kirk developed yesterday well south of the Cabo Verde Islands. Kirk will have little change in strength as it accelerates towards the Lesser Antilles.

Invest 98L, located between Bermuda and the Bahamas, is producing limited shower and thunderstorm activity. The NHC gives 98L a 20% (low) chance of formation during the next 2 days and a 30% (low) chance during the next 5 days. This system is not expected to bring direct impacts to the Carolinas, as it will merge with a frontal boundary before then.

Two non-tropical low pressure areas are developing about halfway between Bermuda and the Azores. The main low, Invest 90L, is likely to develop some tropical characteristics. The NHC gives 90L a 70% (high) chance of formation over the next 2 days and a 70% (high) chance over the next 5 days. The secondary low pressure area only have a 30% chance of tropical development during the next 5 days.

The next name on the list is Leslie. For more information on the tropics, please visit the National Hurricane Center at www.hurricanes.gov.

Onshore winds will result in a moderate risk of rip currents for parts of the East Coast and Panhandle. Today, yellow flags will be flying from Palm Beach County to Nassau County and from Walton to Franklin County. All other Florida beaches have a low risk of rip currents. Wave heights will be 2-3’ in the Atlantic and 1’ in the Gulf. Remember, always swim within sight of a lifeguard. Rip currents can still occur on low risk days! For the latest rip current outlook, visit www.weather.gov/beach.

There are no active River Flood Warnings for any of Florida’s waterways. Only a few rivers remain in action stage. Rainfall amounts today will be light enough to not cause any significant flooding concerns. For more information on specific river stages, please visit the Southeast River Forecast Center here.

Lake Okeechobee average elevation is 14.69 feet, which is at normal for this time of year.

Back to Top