Hazard Mitigation Grant Program
The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program is authorized by Section 404 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act. It is a partnership that is designed to assist states, local governments, private non-profit organizations and Indian Tribes in implementing long-term hazard mitigation measures following a major disaster declaration.
Although the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program is federally funded, the program is administered by the Florida Division of Emergency Management. The process of selecting eligible mitigation projects to be submitted for funding consideration has been delegated to each county’s Local Mitigation Strategy Working Group (LMSWG) in accordance with 27P-22 of the Florida Administrative Code
Have Questions? Call our Mitigation Hotline - (850) 815-4524
Are you interested in learning about, or applying to, the HMGP? If so, then please read the following primer to get you started.
Firstly, you must be an eligible applicant to apply for the HMGP. Eligible applicants for the HMGP include:
- Government Entities
- Private Non-Profit Organization
- Indian Tribes
For ineligible entities to apply for HMGP funding, they will need an eligible applicant to apply on their behalf.
Secondly, you must have an eligible mitigation project. If you are unsure as to what project types are eligible and what eligibility criteria that project must meet under the HMGP, then please click the links below. The full text of the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Guidance can be found by clicking the HMGP Application Resources link below.
Now that you have idea of project eligibility we can move to the final step in this primer.
Regardless of who you are, or what organization your represent, the process for applying for HMGP funds begins at the county level with each county’s LMSWG. They alone determine which eligible mitigation projects will be placed on their project priority list. They use this list to track and organize projects from across their county that they want to submit for funding consideration for the HMGP. If you would like to request that an eligible mitigation project be added to your county’s project priority list, then please use the county contact list below to get in touch with them.
If your county’s LMSWG has accepted your project to be placed on their project priority list, then please use the resources tab below to learn more about application development process.
HMGP Application and Resources
Current HMGP Disaster Declarations
- Notice of Funding Availability
- DR-4399 County Allocation 12-Month Lock-in
- HMGP State-Wide Applicant's Briefing 2019
- HMGP State-Wide Applicants Briefing 2019 QnA
- HMA Grants - Fact Sheet 2018
- First 90 Days - Quick Guide
- Post 90 Day - Quick Guide
- Early Environmental Review- Quick Guide
- DR-4399 FIPS ID List
- Notice of Funding Availability
- DR-4337 County Allocation_12 Month Lock-in
- HMGP State-Wide Applicant's Briefing 2018
- HMGP State-Wide Applicant's Briefing 2018 Meeting Minutes
- HMGP State-Wide Applicant's Briefing 2018 Q&A
- 6-Month Estimate of Available HMGP Funding
- Sample LMS Project Submission Letter
- Florida Administrative Code 27P-22
- Data Collection Worksheet Notice
- Guide for Citizens Seeking Mitigation Project Funding
- The First 90 Days Quick Guide to the HMGP Timeline
- Post 90 Days Quick Guide to the HMGP Timeline
- Guide for Early Environmental Project Reviews
- Project Type Recommendation Letter