Before a Storm
- Residents are encouraged to know the location of their natural gas meter
During a Storm
- It is recommended to leave your gas service on, as natural gas service will likely operate uninterrupted throughout the storm. This also helps to ensure proper pressure remains in the gas piping within homes and businesses and may also prevent water from entering the lines should flooding occur.
- Most natural gas appliances have safety valves that will shut off the flow of natural gas automatically if the pilot light goes out. The valve at the main meter should be turned on or off only by qualified gas company representatives or emergency personnel.
- If at any time residents smell a rotten egg or sulfur-like odor, there could be damage to a natural gas line or a natural gas leak. Immediately move to safety and call 911, then call your gas company’s emergency line.
- Damage assessments and restoration processes begin once the storm has passed and it’s safe for crews to gather information and determine the extent of the service needs in the affected areas.
After a Storm
- If you smell gas, avoid using any sources of ignition, such as cell phones, cigarettes, matches, flashlights, electronic devices, motorized vehicles, light switches or landlines, as natural gas can ignite from a spark, possibly causing a fire or explosion.
- If flooding occurs at a residence or business and the gas appliances are or have been submerged under water, do not try to operate the appliances.
- Following a weather emergency, ensure the gas meter is visible, and the area surrounding the meter is free of trash and debris. Mechanical equipment used after the storm to clean up a location may damage an unseen meter. If a natural gas meter is damaged or gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call the gas company’s emergency response line.
- Residents and business owners are reminded to call 811 to have underground utilities marked for free before digging up tree roots or making repairs. Calling 811 two business days before digging gives utilities enough time to mark the area with flags or paint, making it easier to dig safely.
- Remember to use portable generators safely. Portable generators must not be taken into homes or any enclosed space (like a garage) where deadly carbon monoxide gases could build up. Keep generators on a flat, dry surface, and at least 20 feet away from windows, doors, vents, and air conditioning equipment. Plug appliances directly into the generator. DO NOT connect portable generators into a home’s circuits. Connecting a generator to the circuits may cause power to flow to outside lines, posing life-threatening danger to restoration crews.